Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry

Thanks to my friend Jolene Perry for stopping by today to show us her new release, The Summer I Found You. I haven't gotten a chance to read this yet, but it's high on my TBR list. Diabetic teen girls happen to be near and dear to my heart since I'm the mom of one! Plus, it just sounds awesome, and Jolene's books are the best.

Displaying TheSummerIFoundYou (small cover).jpg

All they have in common is that they're less than perfect. And all they're looking for is the perfect distraction.

Kate had the perfect boyfriend - until he dumped her. It couldn't have come at a worse time; ever since she found out she has diabetes, she's been trying to cope. She just wants to feel normal again.

Aidan planned on being a lifer in the Army and went to Afghanistan straight out of high school. Now he's the guy with one arm and nothing is the same as it was before. He wishes he could forget.

When Kate and Aidan meet, things couldn't be more awkward. Neither wants to get too attached, and they both could use some fun. But what if they need each other more than they realize?

Guest post and snippet from Jolene Perry:

THANK YOU CINDY FOR LETTING ME TAKE OVER FOR A DAY!!!

Writing a girl with Type 1 Diabetes was not easy. I did LOADS of research and sent the MS to two good friends who both have Type 1 Diabetes. I learned more than ever made it into the book, but it did make for some fun scenes... 

Kate doesn't handle her new diagnosis well..

This is Kate (my MC) with her EX-boyfriend at school when she has an issue w/ her health...

   Shelton’s familiar arm is around me, and I lean into him. Not as much because I like him, but because my world’s swimming right now, and I need to remember what I ate, and know what my blood sugar is so I know how much insulin to take.
   Why didn’t I do this right at lunch when I’m supposed to? It would have been so much easier. Now there’s another thing Shelton can add to the list he probably keeps of why Kate is crazy.
   “You should have done this during lunch hour, Kate.”
   I really hate it when people point out the obvious—especially when I’ve already figured it out.
   “Okay, almost there. You’re quiet, which kind of scares me.” His voice is the same warm, soft voice that used to tell me he loved me. Talked to me until I couldn’t keep my eyes open. Read my homework to me while I spent a few days in the hospital getting adjusted to my new life.
   “I’m okay. Sorry, and thank you.” Because at least I’m smart enough to know that being as petty as I’d like to be right now, won’t earn me anything.
   He keeps his arm firmly on my side and pulls open the nurse’s door, leading me to one of the horrible vinyl beds.
   “So you mind?” He goes to the high cupboard that’s supposed to be locked, but never is. My stuff ’s in there.      Shelton knows this. He knows so much. Did we turn into friends?
   Guess it doesn’t matter because we’re not together, and he did not handle our breakup well. Okay, so neither did I. But still. Neither did he.
   Shelton pulls a hard, plastic chair up to the bed. I sit back and lean against the cool wall. He hands me my small tester. I stick my finger in and wait for the prick. 
   “Kate!” Shelley rushes to my side. And yes, I’m on a first name basis with the school nurse. Just another perk. 
   “She’ll be okay.” Shelton chuckles. “I’ve seen her a lot worse. She’s only a little high.” He checks my reader. “Or way high. You’re above three hundred, Kate.”
   I cringe. Mom’s going to be pissed. My lows come on a lot faster and feel a lot worse, but I guess it’s the highs that do real damage. I don’t like to think about that much, so I don’t.
   Shelley clutches her hands together, and looks at me with her teeny little frowny face.
   “Want me to do your shot?” Shelton asks.
   I’m an idiot. I nod. I hate doing it, and Shelton was always the best. Better than Mom. Better than Dad. It’s like he could take me out of the equation.
   “Thank you.” I lie down. My ex-boyfriend is about to pull a pinch of fat from my stomach to give me my shot. This is just... well there aren’t words.
   “Let’s find the fattiest part of Kate,” he teases...

And to read about Kate's NEW guy - a nineteen year old war veteran, you'll have to pick up the book ;-)

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH FOR HAVING ME!!

~ Jolene

AMAZON

BARNES & NOBLE


No comments:

Post a Comment